[TriLUG] vim -- restricting current buffer to 80 columns without editing a different file or a copy of the current buffer

Andrew Ball anball at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 20:45:45 EDT 2008

I'm trying to use vim in full screen mode (which is more than 80
characters in my setup), but I insist on limiting my lines to 80
characters.  I want a way to get vim to have a buffer on the left
that's 80 characters wide and an empty buffer on the right.

:80 vsplit

almost works, but I get two copies of the same buffer, when I really
want an 80-column view of the buffer I was already editing on the left
and an empty buffer on the right.

Thanks for your help,
Peace,
Andrew