[TriLUG] Pony request: Backup Solution

Michael Ansel michael.ansel at duke.edu
Thu Apr 17 15:06:35 EDT 2008

(Disclaimer: This isn't the best email I've ever written, but I'm also
usually not this short on sleep. Wanted to get the code to you sooner
rather than later if you wanted to toy with it though)

What kind of scheduling do you want for the backups? I've got a pretty
extensive hourly/daily/weekly/monthly system designed for multiple
servers and encrypted offline backups that I'm getting ready to open
source (have to remove business specific code and put in better
comments). I've got an overstripped version public already, but its not
quite perfect in terms of being easy to understand and update (I haven't
worried about other people having to understand it before). If you want
me to help you customize it, I'd be more than happy to, but I won't have
time until the first week or so of May (after finals). The system works
a lot like SVN, so I'll describe it in those terms (I figured this out
after I had written the whole thing).

trunk gets updated every hour. no versions
new branch every day. 8 are stored
new branch every week is compressed and stored on external drive. 5 are
stored
new branch every month is compressed and stored on external drive. no limit
every hour, the trunk is copied to an external server (again, no versions)

The code is also really easy to customize, particularly for
complex/specialized data sets. (And yes, it is a whole lot easier to
understand than me. Finals have destroyed my communication abilities)
Most of the config options are at the top; search for FILL-ME-IN to see
the places to fill in the customizations (hostnames and directories).
There are also remnants of a journaling system (had a huge dataset to
backup before). So yeah, the public, generalized implementation of this
is a little rocky right now, but the methods behind it and when the code
blocks are filled in properly, its very reliable.

Code location:
http://michaels-code.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/System%20Administration/Backups/Level%203/backup.sh

Let me know if this helps!

Michael Ansel