[TriLUG] Any Kubuntu/Ubuntu users explain to me why my IDE drives show up as sda?

Mike Shaw mdshaw89 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 15:47:34 EDT 2008

Hello,

I have been looking for explanation but haven't found anything that
really explains why with the installation of Kubuntu 7.10 my IDE
drives are now addressed as /dev/sda. Nearest I can find it could be a
bug, but I've seen other explanations saying it was on purpose. My
last try at fixing this(yes, my machine works, but this is really
annoying plus I'm not sure of the performance since this install) was
to add the following kernel option to grub:

hwprobe=-modules.pata

Any other Kubuntu or Ubuntu users experience this?

Regards,

Mike
--
"Zuko: (Pushing through a crowd) Out of my way! Step aside, filth!
Iroh: He means no offense! I'm certain you bathe regularly..."