[TriLUG] Any Kubuntu/Ubuntu users explain to me why my IDE drives show up as sda?

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Thu Apr 17 22:44:23 EDT 2008

Randy Barlow wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:12:49 -0400, Chess Griffin
> <chess at chessgriffin.com> declared:
>
>> Yes, this was a kernel change in 2.6.20, IIRC.  I had something to do
>> with the kernel using libATA drivers for PATA as well as SATA from
>> now on.  Since the kernel now uses this new PATA/IDE subsystem, which
>> (like the SATA subsystem) goes through SCSI layer, all drives will
>> show up as /dev/sd*.  I see this same thing on Slackware, Arch Linux,
>> and Debian as well.
>>

> Hmm, anybody know if this is actually an upstream change or not?
> Because I am not seeing this change in kernel 2.6.24 on Gentoo with two
> different systems that both use IDE.  Perhaps it's just a patch to the
> upstream kernel that was deployed for Debian and Debian-like systems
> (Ubuntu)?

My guess is that they don't have a good mechanism for changing
everything due to a kernel upgrade, /etc/fstab might have to change
etc...  So if you had a system that had the old libata the used /dev/hd,
then when you kernel upgrade they probably just support the legacy
drivers, so that no one's systems break and fail to boot on a kernel
upgrade.  But if you install a distro from scratch that has the newer
kernel, then you probably get the /dev/sd device naming, if the distro
install CD has the newer kernel from the get go.

Matt P.