[TriLUG] Any Kubuntu/Ubuntu users explain to me why my IDE drives show up as sda?

Mike Shaw mdshaw89 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 09:46:55 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Michael Ansel <michael.ansel at duke.edu> wrote:

>  I haven't worked with Ubuntu for a while (about a year), but I do
>  remember it doing that intentionally. They 'upgraded' their device
>  system to list all drives as sd* to remove confusion between IDE and
>  SATA drives because they are frequently used for identical purposes. I
>  don't think it should be affecting your system performance.
>
>  Michael

LOL - I love that it was to help "remove confusion".  I like it when
my root partition shows up as /dev/sda3 and my CD as
/dev/sda1(different channel).  Removed confusion it didn't.

--
"Zuko: (Pushing through a crowd) Out of my way! Step aside, filth!
Iroh: He means no offense! I'm certain you bathe regularly..."