[TriLUG] [eee] post-install, grub OK from external stick but not from internal SSD

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Thu Apr 24 13:45:44 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 12:29:43PM -0400, Tom Roche wrote:

> Brian McCullough Thu Apr 24 11:46:58 EDT 2008
>  > [I] ask about how to fix these values, and not have to edit them
>  > manually each time you boot.
>
> Not quite right: I'm only what the correct values are. I know how to
> edit the values currently there (from grub as well as general-purpose
> editors).

I think that what you will find are that when you have the SSD in
charge, ask grub about the drives that it knows, it will show, after the
stick is inserted, that the stick is hd1.

I think that it all comes down to the point of view of the boot device.
When you boot from the SSD, it is hd0; when you boot from the stick, it
is hd0.

What you want to do is ( after resurrecting grub on the SSD ) is to edit
the menu.lst on that to show hd0 for the SSD and hd1 for the stick.  On
the stick, do the opposite.

Remember that in your case the boot and root devices need to be the same
in each environment -- when you are booting from the SSD both boot and
root are hd0.

All the usual disclaimers apply, since I have not got an "eee" or have
tried this idea.

Brian