[TriLUG] SLED reflections?

Bill Morris bill_morris at ncsu.edu
Mon Apr 28 11:21:32 EDT 2008

Tom,

  I dual booty SLED 10 SP1 and Vista on my DELL Inspiron E1705,
personal machine.

  I run SLED 10 SP1 on my DELL PC at work as the base OS to
run VMWare Workstation 6 on.

  I run OpenSUSE 10.3 on my IBM Thinkcentre with dual NICs on
separate VLANs and an ATI Radeon X1300 with dual monitors.

  SLED is rock solid. It is a corporate level Linux version. OpenSUSE
is Novell's equal to Fedora. Free updates for OpenSUSE.

1. SLED 10 SP1 had trouble picking up my Intell 4965AGN wireless
card. I had to use ndiswrapper and a Win XP driver. SLED 10 SP2
fixes that issue. It auto-detects the 4965 with no problem. SP2 is due
out in the next few months.

2. The KDE VPN client works great with Cisco VPNs. Very easy
     to install and configure.

3. KDE Network Manager works good for individuals utilizing
    wireless in several locations. My DELL laptop picks up the
    campus wireless and my home DSL wireless great. It can
    be configured for auto-connect, etc...

4. Desktop cube is cool for people interested in eye candy.
    Can be usefull also for flipping between separate desktops.

5. HP Linux Printer software install easily.

6. Comes with a Citrix client.

7. Comes with Open Office.

Just a few things I like about it.

Bill Morris