[TriLUG] [offtopic] Considering a move to RDU area

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 22:30:19 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Jason Watts <jsnonzzr at gmail.com> wrote:
> so... I am considering a move to the RDU area... and am heavily leaning
>  towards the yes side...but I have a few other questions.
>
>  1)  How does the cost of living compare to the cost of living in Charlotte
>  (for those that have moved from the Charlotte area to the RDU area)

Lower.  Less crime too.

>  2) I have a sport bike... anyone on here ride know what the motorcycle
>  community up that way is like?

There is a pretty active motorcycle community.  I have several friends
on both the sportbike and Harley-style sides.  When the weather is
right, there are rides most weekends.

>  3) ...any good reasons to consider as
>  to why I wouldn't want to move to the area? eg. shrinking IT industry ...
>  assuming it is

Well, there definitely *isn't* a shrinking IT industry.  The only
reasons I can think that you wouldn't want to move here might be:

a) Hot as fsck in the summer.  i mean *hot* !  of course, if you're
coming from some place like Death Valley, then no worries.
b) No real useful public transit.  The traffic problems of the late
1990's have really been fixed for the most part, e.g. I-40 has been
widened.  20 minutes from everywhere...if you have a car.
c) Development - Housing prices are going up.
d) Public schools are run by morons.  The Wake County School Board is
a fickle and stupid machine.

Just my opinions, btw.

MPF