[TriLUG] Strange mailserver flood

Brian Daniels bitmage at pobox.com
Wed Apr 30 10:16:50 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 09:38:38AM -0400, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> They're trying to get you to send a DSN to whatever they've forged as
> their HELO. Some poorly-written or poorly-configured MTAs will accept
> the mail and then send a bounce rather than reject during the SMTP
> transaction. They're trying to use you as a reflector.
>
> If you settle on a good way to mitigate this attack, share it with the
> list please. Perhaps someone else has a suggestion....

Ah.  That makes sense.

The attack resembles a mini-DDoS more than anything else.  I haven't figured out
any method of blocking it, as it appears that each 'attacking' machine only
sends one message to us - there's just a bunch of them in the botnet.
Suggestions are welcome!

--Brian

--
Be it thy course to busy giddy minds
With foreign quarrels; that action, hence borne out,

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at pobox.com
      http://www.eviloverlord.net