[TriLUG] Libertarians are jerks? (was: Re: [offtopic] Considering a move to RDU area)

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 20:18:29 EDT 2008

James Tuttle wrote:

> Gee, and that Libertarian thing was just starting to grow on me.  The
> funny thing is that I haven't ever talked to anyone who claimed to be a
> Libertarian who wasn't a jerk.  Of course, that's probably just my
> obvious character flaws talking.

I'm sorry to hear that you consider me a jerk, James.  What exactly
have I said to you to earn that label?  To the best of my
knowledge our conversations have been limited to a comment
I left on your blog, and a brief email exchange concerning
my blog post about education / hiring.  I don't recall
saying anything "jerkish" in either case, but if I did, please
accept my apology.

I won't offer any excuses for (l|L)ibertarians who do act like
jerks, myself included.  But please try considering how
things feel from our perspective: our most fundamtal rights (the right
to control our lives and property without coercion) are being
violated *every* day by the very government that - in theory - exiss
for the purpose of protecting our rights.  A lot of (l|L)ibertarians
are fairly angry about this state of affairs and not all of us
do a good job of putting our emotions aside and sticking to
rational discussions.  But I'd say almost all of us *try* to
do so, more often than not.  At least that's been my experience.

BTW, can we move this to the "offtopic" list?  Sending this
message there to try and seed the switch...

TTYL,

--
Phillip Rhodes
Chief Architect - OpenQabal