[TriLUG] trying this again: Need a job

Douglas A. Whitfield whitdoug at email.unc.edu
Mon May 5 10:23:18 EDT 2008

So, I just found out I didn't get the job at Red Hat for which I applied,
meaning it's looking ever more likely I'll be going to work for a
proprietary software vendor in Wisconsin, which is not at all what I want,
but I've got to have a job.  So, I'm going to try this one more time.  I can
give a full resume to anybody curious, but here's the quick and dirty:

I've spoken with some of you in the past about not having much sys admin
experience, but I took a sys admin class this semester, so I feel more
confident in that now.

Just finished up the MSIS program at UNC.

Most of my experience is in Windows Desktop support, though I have some
experience with Solaris and am a Desktop Linux User myself at current.
I've done web administration on Leopard OS X Server.
I've done MySQL database admin work on Linux and OS X Server.
Most of my Linux experience is with Ubuntu, but I do have some familiarity
with rpm.
I have phone support experience in a call center.
I know XML, XHTML, bash and PHP and have some familiarity with Javascript.
I have usability testing experience.
My undergrad is a double major in Biology and Communications with a minor in
Chemistry and I've worked full time in a Microbiology lab, mostly working on
digital imaging projects and software testing projects.
I know plenty of other random programs on various platforms mentioned and
unmentioned, so if there's something specific you're looking for please ask!

I can start immediately...as in, tomorrow...or I can wait, probably until
like a September start date at the latest.
--
Douglas A. Whitfield

UNC SILS, May 2008
Co-Founder Carolina Open Source Initiative
http://www.ibiblio.org/cosi
cell: 919-360-0306