[TriLUG] pitching Ubuntu vs Vista

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Mon May 12 10:48:58 EDT 2008

The laptops I can definitely understand. I'm actually amazed how good laptop
disks are considering. The desktops? I guess the surface can only rotate so
many times before the strain breaks it apart. So, another good reason to
power down each night!

Plus, the company has something like eight background programs csuch as
virus checkers, installers, keyloggers and what not so the disks are
over-used. Maybe they are quadrupling the actual times the head really needs
to move to get real work done. E.g. if you ever cold boot your laptop then
the next time you get ont eh network it is unusable for 30 minutes which
"Hercules" searches our disk and reports new programs to the central
computers etc. I mean, literally unusable as the disk is pegged solid for
almost 30 minutes.

Tim