[TriLUG] OT: PoE injector/splitter - recommendations?

Robert Dale robdale at gmail.com
Mon May 12 20:32:22 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:

>  Anyone have any clues on lightning in PoE situations? At
>  home I have all waps/switches plugged into the wall for
>  power. A near lightning strike once took out a port on a
>  switch attached to the longest piece of ethernet in the
>  house. (Fortunately the switch was OK - I just moved the
>  ethernet cable to the next port.) It occurs to me that with
>  PoE, the device (wap) at the other end is floating and there
>  wouldn't neccessarily be any harm at the wap end from
>  voltages picked up from lightning on 100' of ethernet cable.
>  Any ideas?

You would ground your NEMA enclosure.  You do have one, right?  Ground
the equipment to the NEMA enclosure.  If your antennas are mounted on
a mast, ground the mast.  Ground your antenna cables.  Check your
local laws on what type of conduit you should use, if it's metal,
ground it.

On the power side, ground your power supplies, switches, and anything
else that's touching and conducts electricity and/or use
surge-protectors.

For the truly paranoid, you can use ethernet surge protectors and power filters.

--
Robert Dale