[TriLUG] Ubuntu migration

Owen oberry at trilug.org
Thu May 15 14:42:17 EDT 2008

I have a new desktop at work and I'm planning on cloning the old hard
drive (PATA) onto the new hard drive (SATA), mainly to save time on
reinstalling all the applications I use for work ... would take days, if
not longer.  I'm planning on cloning the partitions using netcat over a
gigabit ethernet network connection, with the two computers connected
directly to each other. Seems like the fastest way to do it, but failing
that I have a USB enclosure that I'll use to host the source drive.

The question is: any ideas on how Ubuntu (Gutsy) will react to suddenly
booting into new hardware? Hard drive interface is different, screen
size will be different (although I will probably carry the video card
over), processor is still 32 bit Intel. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Owen