[TriLUG] Ubuntu migration

Owen oberry at trilug.org
Thu May 15 15:22:19 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 02:55:00PM -0400, Alan Porter wrote:

> A few of things that might bite you.
>
> There is a file called /etc/blkid.tab that really has no business being
> in /etc. It's a cache of what block devices were seen sometime before.
> That file SHOULD live in /var. Remove it, if possible.

Yes, I have that file - added it to my TODO list.

> Ethernet interfaces might also come up with different numbers. Mine were
> eth2 and eth3. That was in /etc/udev/rules.d... there is a file that
> associates a MAC address with a eth#. You can remove that file too, and
> it'll be rebuilt.

Found it: /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

> And as always, look at /etc/fstab to make sure the entries look OK,
> whether they are disk partition names (/dev/sda1) or UUID's.

They're UUID's. How will that affect me? Wouldn't they need to be
regenerated for the new drive. Suggestions?

Thanks for the info, Alan.

Additional complications I've thought of:

1) I want preserve the Windows partition to run under VMWare, but there
is no such partition on the old drive - I sucked it into a virtual drive
at some stage.

2) I'm using LVM.

I think the answer to both of these is to partition the new drive as I
want it, including setting up logical partitions under LVM, and then
copy each partition individually, instead of cloning the entire drive.

Owen