[TriLUG] OT: how do I know if ethernet cable is plenum rated?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon May 26 20:58:38 EDT 2008

On Mon, 26 May 2008, Steve Holton wrote:

> Look for CMP, CL2P, or CL3P, but you may not find those.

googling for these strings and downloading a few catalogs,
it seems that anything ending in P (plenum) or R (riser)
will do (I haven't found the difference between these two
yet).

When I last looked (maybe 10yrs ago) plenum grade meant
suitable for a plenum (eg air conditioning ducts), whereas
now plenum grade cable is required for elevated floors and
false ceilings, anywhere that if there was a fire the cables
are required not to release toxic fumes (it seems this is
anything except PVC). I don't know why cables lying on a
floor don't need to be plenum rated. Presumably by the time
the fire gets to the floor you're dead or gone.

It turns out that only a small fraction of my cable is
plenum rated. Oh well, cable is cheap and I have a crimper.

Thanks

Joe