[TriLUG] OT: how do I know if ethernet cable is plenum rated?

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Mon May 26 21:37:53 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 8:58 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> I don't know why cables lying on a
> floor don't need to be plenum rated. Presumably by the time
> the fire gets to the floor you're dead or gone.

Others may have more detail on this, but when I was in the business of
running cable, it was a liability issue.  We ran plenum because we had
to.

Generally, people don't care to pay (last time I checked) three times
the price of non-plenum for a cable that can be doused with a fire
extinguisher....hopefully a C Class extinguisher, at least.

MPF