[TriLUG] S/PDIF coax out via USB?

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Tue May 27 13:20:29 EDT 2008

Michael Hrivnak wrote:
> I am looking for an audio device to use with Ubuntu that connects with
> USB and has S/PDIF coax out.  I could also go with firewire, but USB
> is more convenient.  Suggestions?  This will drive a high-performance
> 2-channel stereo system.

I've had good luck a product called "Instant Music" from ADS Tech,
https://www.adstech.com/products/RDX-150/intro/RDX-150_intro1.asp?pid=RDX-150
Here is an Amazon listing for it, with reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/ADS-Tech-RDX-150-EF-Instant-Music/dp/B00065AO9Q
and a Directron listing: http://www.directron.com/rdx150.html

I got it originally for a higher-end interface for digitizing a bunch
of vinyl records I had (I already had an expensive broadcast-style
turntable and several appropriate cartridges) - especially my direct-
to-disk ones (remember those?!).

It has S/PDIF inputs and outputs, and RCA inputs and outputs.  But it
does not have a preamp and the output level is consumer-level (-10dbm)
not pro-level (+4dbm).  To Linux, it is just a USB soundcard, and works
for me in Ubuntu 7.01 and Xandros 4.1. (haven't tried it in any other
distro - haven't needed to).

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA