[TriLUG] OT: how do I know if ethernet cable is plenum rated?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu May 29 09:46:46 EDT 2008

Brian Henning wrote:
> Test it like the fire marshalls tested our wooden structures in our
> dorms at NCSU: try to set fire to it.  If it burns [rapidly], it's the
> wrong stuff. :-D

Or, if it burns and you choke and die on the chlorine gas that's
released, you know it's PVC (the main ingredient in the cheap, non-rated
cable jacket).

Definitely do this outside, or in a chemistry lab's ventilation hood.
You even have to be careful outside (on a still day) because the
chlorine gas will form a heavier-than-air cloud and might not dissipate
quickly.  Fortunately the amount you can generate with a small piece of
cable wouldn't be too big.  (Read up on the train crash in Graniteville,
SC for the dangers of large clouds of chlorine.)

--Jeremy