[TriLUG] OT: Guns

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Fri May 30 10:58:24 EDT 2008

Well, for what it's worth I bought my pump action Mossberg for home defense
and almost strictly for the sound.. that pump action is LOUD when you do it
fast and let me tell you your blood will run ice cold if you hear that noise
and it wasn't you that made it.  I'd much rather have someone try to break
in and run away than break in and get shot (or worse, them shooting me).

Plus that and with 00 Buck you really don't have to aim well, and that's am
important factor.  The annals of police work show dozens of gun fights
between two more people all within 10 feet of each other where neither
person hit the other.  Lighting off a 00 buck will spray 9 .32 caliber
pellets with each shot that will cover and ever-increasing area the further
they travel.

Another factor is safety.  A shotgun is devastating at close range but the
effective penetration of, say, a neighbor's house by an errant group of
pellets is not as likely as a .45 or .357 rifled slug traveling at a much
greater feet per second rate.  If you go with something lighter than 00 Buck
the effective range drops even further.  Good stuff if you don't want to get
dragged into an unintentional manslaughter case, not to mention the guilt of
having killed someone unintentionally while defending your home.

(plus shotgun pellets aren't marked by barrel rifling so it's much harder to
trace a pellet back to a shotgun source, if not impossible)

Greg