[TriLUG] OT: SFTP international laws

Glenn Starling GJStarling at charter.net
Sat May 31 14:47:53 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 06:54 -0400, Robert Dale wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:51 AM, Glenn Starling <GJStarling at charter.net> wrote:
> > My daughter is a US citizen living in Honduras.  She wants to send a
> > large number of vacation photos to us.  I want to give her an SFTP
> > account on one of my servers so she can upload the photos there.
> >
> > I haven't had any reason to keep up with the encryption laws.  A Google
> > search didn't turn up any current definitive information, but I know
> > many of the restrictions have been released in the past 6 years or so.
> >
> > Second question:  Does anyone know the Honduran regulations?
> >
> > I'm planning on visiting her this summer, and I'll also be needing SSH
> > back to my customer's web sites while I'm there.  Otherwise, I'd just
> > give her FTP access.
>
> http://www.bis.doc.gov/encryption/lechart1.htm
>
> The way I read it is that you can export encryption to anyone except
> Cuba, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Syria, and Sudan.
>
> When in doubt, download from a non-US mirror.
>
> --
> Robert Dale

Thanks for the link.  My concern is that exporting encryption isn't the
same as using encryption.  I really don't think it will be a problem on
the US side like it was a decade or so ago, but thought I'd ask.  Also,
I don't have a clue about Honduran laws.  Again, I don't think it would
be a problem but wanted to ask BEFORE rather than AFTER.

-- Glenn