[TriLUG] OT: SFTP international laws

Nick Goldwater trilug at dogstar1.com
Sat May 31 20:32:38 EDT 2008

First of all as a US citizen abroad I would expect to be able to communicate to anyone I wish in the US in any manner I feel fit.

Here is what I found since the question piqued my interest:

<snip>
APPENDIX III - Computer Tier Country Chart in 2006

COMPUTER TIER: 1
COUNTRIES: Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cameroon, Canada, 15 Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, Colombia, Congo (Democratic Republic of the), Congo (Republic of the), Costa Rica, Cote d'Ivoire, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia (The), Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Holy See, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea (Republic of), Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Monaco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and Grenadines, San Marino, Sao Tome & Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Surinam, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turkey, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Kingdom (The) and all territories thereof, Uruguay, Venezuela, Western Sahara, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
</snip>

I believe you need to find a current Computer Tier Country Chart and all the listed countries in Teir I are OK. At least this may narrow a query to a lawyer and save some time.

Nick