[TriLUG] OT - TWC bandwidth caps on the way?

Ben Pitzer bpitzer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 12:59:37 EDT 2008

It just occurred to me that this is a very effective way to kill Vonage or
other VOIP providers on their network.  I somehow doubt that TWC digital
phone service is counted against that bandwidth cap, but you can be damned
sure that Vonage or Skype are counted against that 40GB.  I wonder how much
bandwidth is taken by a 1 hr conversation on Vonage.....

My issue will be with my mail server.  I wouldn't be surprised if I get
10-20GB per month in spam and viruses alone.  Which brings up another
issue....could you sue Microsoft for the overrun cost of your monthly cable
Internet bill if your PC gets infected with a self-replicating virus,
malware program, trojan or worm that comes as a result of an OS exploit?  Or
other software providers, for that matter, if their product is the
vulnerable one.  Apple could get sued for such things as a result of
vulnerabilities in Safari, for example.

Let's also talk about sabotage.  Find your enemy online and start hping2 to
constantly connect to some open port from a spoofed IP.  Do it unobtrusively
enough, and you wouldn't get caught easily, but you might push him over the
top of his bandwidth cap and cost him money.  How is TWC going to protect
against that type of fraud?

Look, I can see bandwidth caps on budget tiers of service, like their RR
Lite service, and may be even on the standard tier, but there should
absolutely be an uncapped tier as well.  Hell, just trying to use bittorrent
to pull down a Linux distro.  The Debian DVD image is 4.4GB alone, meaning
11% of the bandwidth cap mentioned in that article, even before it's
installed and patches and security updates are applied.

-Ben Pitzer