[TriLUG] Issuing a command to multiple machines simultaneously

Paul McLanahan pmclanahan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 14:20:16 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I manage a few Linux boxen at $work. They're not all exactly alike,
but the are all running Ubuntu Hardy Server, and quite often I have to
issue the same command to all of them to do things like package
upgrades, installs, etc.. I'd like to setup a system that will allow
me to issue the command in a client of some type, which will cause the
command to run of all of the machines, and send the output back to me.
I've seen this done in the past, but I can not seem find how it was
done, and my googling has turned up a couple of rsh tutorials, but
unless I'm missing something, just rsh isn't going to get this done.

Thanks for any advice,

Paul McLanahan