[TriLUG] OT - TWC bandwidth caps - Earthlink

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 13:39:33 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Mark Turner <jmarkturner at gmail.com> wrote:
> If TWC's move costs it customers (which it will) don't expect its
> competitors to follow suit.

Why would this cost TWC customers?
Other than the true bandwidth hogs, which I suspect is part of the motivation.

Most people won't be affected by this. Most people couldn't tell you
what speed their internet service is without reading quoting verbatim
from sales literature, or even make a reasonable estimate of how many
weeks of their regular usage would constitute a given usage amount.

> Earthlink is an independent ISP. I don't know if a TWC move to metering
> would affect EL customers but I imagine some serious antitrust issues
> would arise if TWC forced it on EL.

Just remember, Internet is NOT a common carrier regulated service,
thanks to the limitless dedication and years of work by the "don't
regulate the internet" crowd.

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com