[TriLUG] OT - TWC bandwidth caps on the way?

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 6 13:42:39 EDT 2008

VoIP uses a control stream (SIP, SCCP, MGCP, AIX) and a voice stream (RTP). The voice stream is compressed and transmitted using the Codec.  The control stream is digital and is used for DTMF as well as CallerID and other functions.

To make our lives easier at the connection with the PSTN we use PRI connections which send Voice down one channel and Data down a separate channel. So DTMF always stays in the Data stream and Voice always stays in it's own separate stream - even at our interconnects with the Public Switched Telephone Network. :-)

Jon