[TriLUG] how do USB disks and USB wifi cards work?

David Brain dbrain at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 12:14:12 EDT 2008

Hi,

Not quite - the 'drive like' behavior of USB devices is a standard
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_mass_storage_device_class) so the
kernel code just has to know how to talk that to make USB disks work.

I do not believe there is a similar standard for 'network like
devices' (which would be nice...).  So for a USB network device you
are in the normal situation of needing to have a, normally
vendor/chipset specific driver.

David.