[TriLUG] Is anyone attending NC*SA tonight? Can you briefly report on it?

Justis Peters jtrilug at indythinker.com
Mon Jun 9 18:50:19 EDT 2008

If anyone on this list could bring back some very brief notes from
tonight's NC*SA meeting, I would offer a beer or fancy coffee drink
(your choice) in return. I would like to have attended, but am not
feeling well tonight.

A full description of the event can be found here:
http://www.ncsysadmin.org/ and this is the abstract:
   "If you have the budget for a commercial (i.e. EMC, Netapp) high
availability storage solution, then you're one of the lucky ones. For
the rest of us, we'll discuss the nuts and bolts of how to use commodity
hardware and several open source software components to build a
low-dollar, high-availability storage solution.

You've seen the usual shared disk arrays and such, but this is
different: this is clustered storage without any shared storage
hardware. All you need is good network connectivity between the storage
servers.

Even if you have the budget for /real/ storage for your core production
apps, this could be an excellent solution for a development or lab
environment."

I would also be open to hearing from anyone who may already feel
knowledgeable on this topic. Mostly, I'm hoping for some product names
and links to HOWTOs. I'm kind of hooked on meetups, too, but sometimes
you've got to stay home. Thanks in advance to anyone who can pitch in on
this topic. If you go (or are already there), I hope you have a great time.

Kind regards,
Justis Peters
http://justis.indythinker.com