[TriLUG] dhcpcd'ing from onboard NIC on laptop

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Jun 11 10:42:35 EDT 2008

I have one of these new fangled laptops with an onboard
ethernet NIC. I'm used to pcmcia nics which dhcpcd when you
insert the card.

The on-board nic could sit there for a long time without an
ethernet cable being plugged in, but when I do plug in a
cable I'd like it to look for an IP. How do I arrange this?
udev doesn't monitor for the cable being plugged in/carrier
(that I know). Do I have mii-tool watch the cable in an
endless loop? (the machine is dual boot and WinXP dhcpcds as
soon as the cable is plugged in). Do I just run a script by
hand whenever I plug the cable in?

linux-2.6.22.9
udev-111

Thanks Joe