[TriLUG] OT: clean power

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Sat Jun 14 16:29:00 EDT 2008

Yes if you deal with a lot of these wall warts sooner or later they are
going to come back and bite you in a tender place.
what I suggested was a good power supply. Astron and pyramid are both
good manufacturers. These are not "power adapters" in the sense that you
are probably thinking about. they are square boxes that have the three
prong power cord and plug into a wall socket. On the supply itself are
two terminals that will allow devices to be connected.

The output is generally set at 13.5 volts dc (+/- 10%). The cheaper ones
have a little trim pot that will allow you to do some adjustment on
that. The more "advanced" (more bucks $) will have a front adjustment
with meters and such to indicate volt/amp levels.

Not all devices are created equal.
Before you do anything take a look at the wall wart or device to see
what levels it is expecting. small devices might only want 5v or 9v
while something larger may want something along the lines of 12v to even
48v. (most consumer level devices look for 12-13.5v dc).

73,
Neil, WA4AZL
JARS Forever!!