[TriLUG] tying applications to specific interfaces?

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 12:50:39 EDT 2008

Let's assume I have an Ubuntu desktop of the latest revision running on a
desktop machine with two interfaces: one is a 10/100 Ethernet and one is a
802.11g interface.  Also assume that the Ethernet is the "corporate" network
and the 802.11 is a public hotspot.

I'd like to tie specific applications to specific interfaces say, for
instance, VNC to always use my Ethernet interface while Firefox uses my
wireless.  Is this even possible?  Furthermore is it possible to have two
icons for Firefox, one that uses the Ethernet and one that uses the wireless
network?

Also assume that the Ethernet is the "corporate" network and the 802.11 is a
public hotspot.

Even more furthermore is this kind of thing possible with OS X?

Greg