[TriLUG] tying applications to specific interfaces?

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Jun 18 13:55:03 EDT 2008

Most server applications that LISTEN to interfaces can be configured to
listen on one, the other, or both interfaces.

> 4) Apache is not good with two nics. It binds to one by default I think. I
> had real troubles with it responding always on one nic rather than the one
> from where the message came and/or one with fewest hops.

Apache is a good example.  It works great with two NICs.  It can be
configured to listen one interface, leaving the other one alone.  Or it
can listen to both.  Other good examples include dnsmasq, postfix, mysql....

However, applications that act as CLIENTS will send packet out, using
whatever the kernel's routing table tells them to use.

Alan