[TriLUG] OT: Job Posting, Unix/Perl Dude, Roanoke Times, Roanoke, VA

Jos Purvis purvis at melete.org
Wed Jun 18 14:14:29 EDT 2008

Not *strictly* Linux-related, since they're using Solaris, but I
figured there'd be enough overlap that there might be interest. Here's
the deal: my brother-in-law is a manager over at the online division
of the Roanoke Times. Their primary Unix dude is leaving the company
(after 38 years--I think they're losing him to fishing rather than a
competitor...), but has agreed to stick around to train his
replacement, so they're looking for someone to take over
post-haste[0].

Dan has all the details on the job, but here it is in a nutshell: said
admin will be responsible for the care and feeding of a mid-range Sun
cluster (using 880s) on Solaris 9, using Sun disk arrays under
Veritas. You'll need to know cluster management, array management, OS
care/feeding/scripting/upgrading/etc., as well as basic Sybase Server
(12.5) DB admin and Perl scripting (CGI/DBD work). If you're
interested, let me know and I'll send you a copy of Dan's bullet
points for the position; I'm happy to pass along whatever resumes I
get. Thanks!

    Cheers,

    Jos

[0] Probably goes without saying, but given the hands-on nature of the
gig, you'd need to live in Roanoke, or at least be willing to commute
there (it's about 2.5/3h from here, but it's a *great* area to live).