[TriLUG] tying applications to specific interfaces?

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Wed Jun 18 14:18:18 EDT 2008

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> I'd be surprised if this is possible. Packets are just
> packets and go where the routing table tells them to go. The
> application has no idea where the packets are going -

This is true if the application doesn't want to know where
they are going. But it is most certainly possible to tie an
outgoing socket to a specific IP address on the machine.
Of course, the application must be written to do this.  Our
product does this...which is how I know it works  :>

> However you can differentiate packets by ip, port...

If the above is what you meant by this...then I agree.
I thought I should clarify for others, though.

Chris

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services