[TriLUG] Where is Linux today?

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Thu Jun 19 12:03:12 EDT 2008

Me, again :-}

Another factor to consider is that an awful lot of business software
really is Windows-only.  Someone mentioned QuickBooks, and there are
plenty of industry-specific software packages out there that really are
Windows-only.  In my present line of work (litigation support), I can
mention Concordance and Summation (both the heavy hitters in the lit
support business) as examples.  My wife worked for a taxi company and
their call management software (CabMate) was Windows-only.  From an
inertia POV, Windows is likely to remain dominant for small businesses and
executives until someone comes up with a good way of integrating the
Windows-based software into Linux in a way that reliably and easily works.

That said, the average person seems to be tending towards smaller and more
mobile devices.  The incidence of Palms, Blackberries, and iPhones points
to this.  Internet-based PIM software (Google Apps, for example) and the
desire to remain connected with one's data on the go are important
factors.

What I think is needed is a small utility device that acts as a
phone/music player/GPS/remote client to access your data.  It doesn't have
to be smart enough or powerful enough to run your applications, just to
render the interfaces to those applications.  Back in the day when I
worked at Nando with Steven Hilton, our discussions would center (somewhat
jokingly) on the idea of a device that would stream your music to you,
handle your phone calls for you, and display HUD GPS and other data on
your sunglasses for you :-)  Such a device could easily run a
stripped-down Linux and connect you to more powerful servers that host
your information.

Just my $0.04

William Sutton