[TriLUG] Where is Linux today?

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Thu Jun 19 13:21:34 EDT 2008

Tim Jowers wrote:
>    There's alot to say about marketing. I think Jobs did a great job
> marketing a desktop Unix. Who's doing so for Linux? Who will? They can win
> BIG!  Of course the low cost Linux laptops are a real threat. A real threat
> to the established pricing and software sets of today/yesteryear.  Let's get
> realistic here. People use computers to do something. Maybe write a
> document. Maybe track a spreadsheet. Maybe accounting. You can do these all
> with Open Source on Linux quite fine.

By now, I had really hoped there would be more commercial vendors selling
Linux versions.  It's a cat and mouse problem.  Or maybe Linux users
aren't willing to pay for software.  Certainly the hard-core "free software"
people aren't - and that may be the only voice vendors are hearing.

I just moved my wife back to a Windows box - she's been using an account
on my Linux server for a few years and since she mostly uses Firefox and
Thunderbird it worked OK for her.  But there are lots of little programs
that are windows-only that she wants.  I just don't have the time or
energy to find alternatives and talk her into using them.  If those same
software companies offered Linux versions, I'd be buying them and
she would still be on Linux.  <sigh>

I'm stuck on Windows because our customers are on Windows <double-sigh>.

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services