[TriLUG] Gimmie desktop-app vs. pannel-applet

Mark Kempster mark at kempster.org
Thu Jun 19 22:45:54 EDT 2008

I ran across gimmie (http://www.beatniksoftware.com/gimmie/Main_Page)
tonight, and after hearing about it a couple times, finally gave it a
try. So far, I really like it, and have significantly changed my panel
as a result. My one question is a difference between the desktop
dock-like thing (when you run 'gimmie' from the command-line) and the
gimmie-applet that's embedded in the gnome toolbar.

With the applet, you get the menu/shortcut stuff that you get by
pushing the 'Programs' buttons and the like from the desktop dock
application. However, the applet is missing the 'open windows'
business, the sort of thing you get with the 'workspace switcher'
applet.

With the desktop version of gimmie, you get both the menu buttons and
the open-applications windows. Granted, the real-estate it takes up is
significantly greater. But darned handy, and an opportunity to slim
down the amount of displayed stuff on the desktop (I like a spartan
desktop, but to still have the stuff I use within "easy reach", or
about 2 mouse clicks. So far, gimmie has pretty good about meeting
that goal, and my desktop is cleaner than it was before.)

Is there a way to get the open-applications thing to show up in the
applet? I dislike the size of the dock and how it swallows a hefty
swathe of real-estate when maximizing a window - a pricey trade-off on
my newish-to-me 1024x768 T40..

Thanks much.
- Mark