[TriLUG] log in issues

Douglas A. Whitfield douglasawh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 22:56:37 EDT 2008

Ok, I am installing KDE right now.  I'm not sure if this is a GNOME issue,
or not, but I was trying to fix a 915resolution issue I was having with the
resolution being funky after hibernation (worked fine otherwise)

I also did 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and that didn't fix the issue, though it
did appear to update the kernel.  Actually, I haven't tested the hibernate
issue since the kernel update.

When I try to 'startx' from any account other than root, I get the following
error:

'waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath:FPE
"/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing it'

When I boot up (I do the super secure, auto login) I get the error

'GDM could not write to your authorization file.  Thus could mean that you
are out of disk space or that your home directory could not be opened for
writing. In any case, it is not possible to log in.  Please contact your
system administrator.'

at some point I was actually able to log in and I got this error:

'Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds.  If you have not logged out
yourself, thus could mean that there is some installation problem or that
you may be out of disk space.  Try loggin in with one of the failsafe
sessions to see if you can fix this problem.

*box* view details (~/.xsession-errors file)'

and that errors file says...

'/etc/gdm/Xsession:Beginning session setup...
setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to
/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default
mkdtemp:private socket dir: Permission denied'

I have no idea what's going on.  I'll report back on hibernation and KDE
after I've checked.

--
Douglas A. Whitfield

UNC SILS, May 2008
Co-Founder Carolina Open Source Initiative
http://www.ibiblio.org/cosi
cell: 919-360-0306