[TriLUG] log in issues

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Fri Jun 20 10:42:16 EDT 2008

Douglas A. Whitfield wrote:
> Ok, I am installing KDE right now.  I'm not sure if this is a GNOME issue,
> or not, but I was trying to fix a 915resolution issue I was having with the
> resolution being funky after hibernation (worked fine otherwise)
>
> I also did 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and that didn't fix the issue, though it
> did appear to update the kernel.  Actually, I haven't tested the hibernate
> issue since the kernel update.
>
> When I try to 'startx' from any account other than root, I get the following
> error:
>
> 'waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath:FPE
> "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing it'

Dunno about this one.

> When I boot up (I do the super secure, auto login) I get the error
>
> 'GDM could not write to your authorization file.  Thus could mean that you
> are out of disk space or that your home directory could not be opened for
> writing. In any case, it is not possible to log in.  Please contact your
> system administrator.'
>
> at some point I was actually able to log in and I got this error:
>
> 'Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds.  If you have not logged out
> yourself, thus could mean that there is some installation problem or that
> you may be out of disk space.  Try loggin in with one of the failsafe
> sessions to see if you can fix this problem.

This usually means the ownership of the .Xauthority file in the home
directory of the user you are trying to login as is wrong.  Usually it
gets flipped to root somehow.  Check and make sure the user owns that file.

--[Lance]

--
  GPG Fingerprint: 409B A409 A38D 92BF 15D9 6EEE 9A82 F2AC 69AC 07B9
  CACert.org Assurer