[TriLUG] OT: BIOS repair

Steve Hoffman srhoffman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 08:52:00 EDT 2008

I recently purchased a Dell XPS Gen 4 desktop for a pretty good price on
Ebay.  It arrived yesterday and I was preping to install FC9 on it and
figured since it came to me with windows, now was the best time to upgrade
firmware since dell doesn't ship a linux version.  So I downloaded the BIOS
and began the flash when the computer froze...nothing responded so I let is
sit overnight hoping it would recover...and it didn't.  So this morning I
rebooted it only to find that it's essentially bricked...  A replacement
MoBo for that model is nearly $200 which eats up all the savings of buying a
newer model.  So that got me thinking.  Does anyone know of anywhere I can
ship a Dell motherboard to have the BIOS reflashed?  Does anyone have a
non-functioning XPS Gen4 or Gen5 they'd like to offload cheap?

Thanks,
Steve