[TriLUG] Where is Linux today?

Bill Farrow list.mail.for.bill at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 15:24:01 EDT 2008

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> 3) A successful Linux conference today would require a big effort and
> big money to produce.  Without the energy and excitement about Linux
> this kind of event requires corporate backing and that seems

Hi Guys,
I've just moved to Raleigh from Melbourne, Australia, so my perspective is
perhaps a bit different.

Australia runs an annual Linux conference (linux.conf.au) and each year the
LUGs around the country submit bids to run the next years conference.  This
means that no-one group gets burnt out, and it stays a volunteer run
conference.  Big name companies like IBM, Intel, Red Hat, HP, all sign up
to be sponsors, but it is definitely not a commercial or corporate event.

http://www.linux.org.au/LCA

This is not the time to drop the ball on Linux.  We are at a key point in
time with regard to operating systems, with the rise of OSX, the stumbling
that is Vista, and the advent of portable devices like the N800 and EeePC.

Linux is alive and kicking around the world.  When I look at RTP job
advertisements, there are quite a few that are linux specific.

Be an active advocate:  When my friends ask me to fix their Windows PC and
remove viruses, I tell them that I use Linux on my laptop and desktop, and
since there are "no" viruses for Linux I don't have a virus scanner.  I
then show them how much memory their virus scanner is using, and tell them
how ridiculous it is.  /* Yes, the "no" viruses is debatable, but sometimes
you have to "round down" the statistics for non-eng people :-) */

Bill