[TriLUG] Where is Linux today?

Wade Bowlin wade at gotsvt.com
Tue Jun 24 19:11:37 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Douglas A. Whitfield
<douglasawh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Cristóbal Palmer <cmp at cmpalmer.org> wrote:
>
>> If you feel that way, then what hope is there for the majority of people
>> who don't have the commitment that you do?

I really don't see how using a (partially) closed source OS is
mutually exclusive with being a Linux/OSS advocate.  Would you be any
less of an OSS advocate by running OSS programs on a Mac/MS OS versus
running closed source programs (codecs anyone?) on Linux?  I would bet
a good deal of OSS development is done from OS X or even Windows.
Actually, the beauty of OSS is that it is free to get ported and run
on whatever platform you want.  The concept that OSS implies you run
Linux and that Linux can (should) only run OSS is more based on a
person's emotional situation than any logic.

- Wade