[TriLUG] Where is Linux today?

Maxwell Spangler maxpublic08 at maxwellspangler.com
Tue Jun 24 21:25:49 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 17:04 -0500, Douglas A. Whitfield wrote:
> Is there a 10 year window
> before frustration sets in and will the products getting better make that go
> away.  It's just an interesting dynamic and it seems similar to politics.

For me it is not set by time but by a cycle like this:

1) Exploration of something new
2) Discovery of it
3) Investigation of it
4) Enjoyment of it
5) Refinement / Development of it
6) Simply Using it...
7) Getting bored and starting the process over again either with
something new or a new version on what I'm using.

Here's my Linux cycle:  I used Windows and SCO UNIX (1992?) and went
looking for something better.  I discovered Linux and started using it
part time to investigate it.  As it matured I was able to start using it
for real projects and truly enjoyed the adventure of it.  I've spent
years learning more about it and trying to integrate new programs and
features into my personal environment.  Now it's refined to my needs and
very useful for the typical activities.  It's about as exciting as
Windows XP, but also about as useful, so I keep both around.  But its
starting to get boring, so I start looking for something new and my
interest in MacOS shows it.  Even Vista is interesting and new :)

I think all of us are at various stages of this cycle.  By sharing
information with each other, we help keep the emotional relationship
with our computing from getting stale and boring.  As long as the
developers keep giving us good original innovations and keep up with our
competitors features there is no reason for us to switch to anything
else.