[TriLUG] Where is Linux today?

Douglas A. Whitfield douglasawh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 10:33:41 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Tim Jowers <timjowers at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Windows programs working flawlessly"
>
> Ahh, that would really be a problem for OSX and Linux. What I've seen from
> the Windows platform is the software quality went up into the mid-1990's
> and
> has been steadily falling ever since. E.g. GPF's are common place even in
> Microsoft applications these days.

I mispoke.  What I should have said was "install properly"  I think mainly
this would require reverse engineering .NET and WMP.  I think WINE having a
way to have people put in a Windows service tag and download the real .NET
would probably help a lot of people out too.  I don't personally use any
programs under WINE, but I know people that would use MS Office and I
probably would use Ruckus (yeah, yeah, there's a DRM issue there too, but
let's not get into that...at least it's legal).