[TriLUG] OT: Power supply/video card question

Owen oberry at trilug.org
Tue Jul 8 10:29:29 EDT 2008

I'm looking at buying a PCIe GeForce 7300GT video card from EVGA for my
Ubuntu desktop at the office, but the manufacturer lists a minimum of a
350 Watt power supply as a requirement, and my desktop only has a 300W
PS.  This seems a little extreme for a middle of the road graphics card;
are they being over zealous in their requirements? Or should I just go
for the fanless Zotac equivalent that doesn't list any such requirement?

Thanks for your thoughts, and for putting up with my OT post. Can't find
a better group of techies anywhere. :-)

Owen