[TriLUG] OT: Power supply/video card question

Reginald Reed reginald.reed at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 13:19:52 EDT 2008

Hi I have a 7300GT running perfectly for the last 4 months (24/7) on a
stock Acer power supply.  One thing to keep in mind when looking at
what a manufacturer suggests for a power supply is it really is only a
guess!  They have no idea what else you are powering with said power
supply.  You could have a single HD and your motherboard hanging off
your 300W PS and could be fine or you could have a 400W PS with 4 10K
rpm drives, multiple optical drives, etc and be screwed.  Something
else to think about, PC power supply ratings can be both inflated and
under rated.  I'd trust the output of an Antec PS over a cheap
joe-random PS from an unknown vendor.