[TriLUG] remote "upgrading" from debian to Ubuntu?

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Tue Jul 8 18:00:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Does anyone have any experience with "upgrading" a remote server with
> only ssh access
> from Debian to Ubuntu?  Will it work ok or are there any gotchas I
> should look out for?

I tried that once back in the days of Warty Warthog and it was ugly. I
eventually worked my way out of the dependency nightmare, but it took
quite awhile. Your best bet would be to go from whatever debian you're
running to _Sid_ first and then to Ibex (the current Ubuntu devel
version) right after Ibex does a sync with Sid. Another alternative
would be to strip your system down to the bone, hold your breath, and
go straight from your current debian to hardy, but I don't recommend
either, honestly. :/

Maybe experiment with a local box or VM? Some bootstrapping magic??

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"Small acts of humanity amid the chaos of inhumanity provide hope. But