[TriLUG] Vista - is it *so* bad? Was: Hans Reiser leads cops to wife's body.

Chris Knowles chrisk at trilug.org
Thu Jul 10 11:18:54 EDT 2008

I find it odd that I'm about to post a mini-review of Vista on a Linux
User Group mailing list.

at $COMPANY I lost the coin toss, and got a shining new Vista box to
test with all of our software, hardware, network, etc.  This is all
about the business version of Vista, YMMV

Hardware wise the box is probably 2x the XP box it replaced, and 3x the
Linux box I mainly use.

It runs the same speed as both of them.

Add/Remove programs, It's "Remove Software".  Want to do any number of
tasks that you did without even thinking in 95, 98, (God Help me) ME,
2000, XP? You'll likely be googling or using the help files to find what
they've decided to call things.

Compatibility:

The software compatibility is hit or miss.  There are 15 year old 16bit
apps that work like a champ, there are microsoft products, circa 2000
that don't.

UAC: While I applaud making the users aware that they are going to be
changing things that are important to their system, or alert them that
something bad might happen, I can't help but feel that making a user
click "Yes" every time they try to connect to the VPN doesn't help
anything, and will in fact make them ignore the UAC, thus making it
worse than it was before it existed.

Pros: It's not as bad as everyone says it is.

Cons: It's *almost* as bad as everyone says it is.

I am -><- this close to installing Ubuntu on my sainted Mother's PC,
rather than trying to explain the newest changes.  If it weren't for
some of the esoteric software she uses, it would already be on $WIFE's
machine.

CJK