[TriLUG] Vista

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 13:31:43 EDT 2008

> We haven't found any linux based (open or commercial) which our accounting
> firm can utilize, so we are stuck with quickbooks for the foreseeable
future

Hi Ron,

  What is wrong with GNU Cash? Does it not run on Windows? Is it just too
different? Or are some features missing? AFAIK it is the only FOSS contender
against QuickBooks (not quicken or money). I've only done a little with GNU
Cash and not any heavy business accounting so I haven't explored its
features. Not sure if it is good at managing thousands of customer accounts
for instance. ???

  BTW, employees at this major telco are welcomed to use Linux as their
primary desktop. Most have both XP and Linux side-by-side although outlook
is available as a web page so one could dump XP if desired. The big issue
here is all the IT-ware on the Windows box. E.g. this week some brainiac in
network mgt decided no Flash player on the Windows box-- odd since several
apps and new dev are using flash.

Tim