[TriLUG] Vista

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 10 13:58:45 EDT 2008

On Thursday 10 July 2008 13:31, Tim Jowers wrote:
>   What is wrong with GNU Cash? Does it not run on Windows? Is it just too
> different? Or are some features missing? AFAIK it is the only FOSS
> contender against QuickBooks (not quicken or money). I've only done a
> little with GNU Cash and not any heavy business accounting so I haven't
> explored its features. Not sure if it is good at managing thousands of
> customer accounts for instance. ???

It's a two sided question. Quickbooks is actually quite good at what it does,
and we have not found a Linux replacement (no need for FOSS, just good
software).

The major issue is the accounting firm that we have worked with for years, can
take our quickbooks file and knock out our accounting issues in no time flat.
If we used something like GNU Cash, they would have to get the values from
there, and plug it into their accounting program, so you are doing double
data entry. They have no need to switch programs, since what they have fits
their business perfectly.

So it's a functionality and compatibility issue more then anything else. Yes,
there are import/export workarounds but you can't maintain 100% compatibility
in that case.

Ron